BOWLING GREEN, Ohio –
The Bowling Green tennis program completed the first tournament action of the 2017-18 season with the BGSU Invitational. The Falcons earned three flight titles on the weekend, including two in singles and one in doubles action.
BGSU Invitational Highlights
Head Coach Dalmacio's Take
- The Falcons claimed three titles in the opening event of the season, including Doubles One, Singles One, and Singles Two flights.
- Junior Paula Comella claimed the Orange Draw Title of flight one singles by a score of 6-2, 7-6 over Mid-American Conference foe Mimi Kendall-Woseley of Toledo. To advance to the finals, Comella downed Kenyon's Diana Aboubakare by scores of 6-3 and 6-0.
- In the Brown Draw of singles two, junior Polina Radeva claimed the title with a pair of victories over Toledo opponents. First, the Varna, Bulgaria native defeated Coleen O'Brien 6-4, 6-2 in the semifinals, before blanking Sidney Huck in straight sets by 6-4, 6-4 for the title.
- In doubles action, Comella paired up with freshman Marta Bettinelli to earn the flight one title over Kendall-Woseley and Leenabanchong (Toledo) by a mark of 6-3.
- Individually, Bettinelli earned a singles win in flight three when she edged Megan Miller (Toledo) by marks of 7-6 (5), 7-6 (4). A native of Milan, Italy, Bettinelli appeared in the finals against Dee Dee Leenabanchong (Toledo), but fell 6-1, 6-0 in the title match.
- In consolation play, Radeva teamed up with sophomore Ayumi Sasaki to earn a win over Audeh and McDermott (Oberlin) by a score of 6-2.
- Ultimately, all eight Falcons earned wins on the weekend. Bowling Green came out victorious in 15 singles matches as well as seven doubles matches in head-to-head play over the course of the tournament.
- "We competed incredibly hard this weekend and deserved the three titles for singles and doubles. This group is ready and hungry for more and I couldn't be prouder of how they competed and set the tone for the year!"
Follow the Falcons
- The Falcons will be back in action from Sept. 29-30 when they compete in the WSU Invitational in Dayton, Ohio, hosted by Wright State. It will be the second of four tournaments in which Bowling Green will participate for the 2017 fall season.
BGSU Invitational Day Two Results
- For the most up-to-date information on the Bowling Green tennis program, follow the Falcons on Twitter at @BGSUTennis and @BGAthletics, as well as on the web right here at BGSUFalcons.com.
def. Diana Aboubakare (Kenyon), 6-3, 6-0
def. Mimi Kendall-Woseley (Toledo), 6-2, 7-6 for title
def. Coleen O'Brien (Toledo), 6-4, 6-2
def. Sidney Huck (Toledo), 6-4, 6-4 for title
def. Megan Miller (Toledo), 7-6 (5), 7-6 (4)
lost to Dee Dee Leenabanchong (Toledo), 6-1, 6-0 in title match
lost to Grace Winslow (Kenyon), def. in consolation round
/ Marta Bettinelli
def. Kendall-Woseley / Leenabanchong (Toledo), 6-3 for title
/ Theresa Wassmann
lost to O'Brien / Huck (Toledo), 6-4 in final match
/ Ayumi Sasaki
def. Audeh / McDermott (Oberlin), 6-2 in consolation match